Start a Chapter
Why join NHC?
When you join the National History Club, you join students and teachers from around the country—and the world—in discovering, learning, reading, writing, teaching, and living history. Our main goal with the NHC is to bring students and teachers with a real passion for history together, helping them learn from the ideas and activities that are exchanged through our eNewsletter, eUpdates, and other communication methods. We do not limit the scope of activities that a chapter may participate in—each club is allowed to navigate its own course. This allows for a wide-range of really interesting activities that are displayed in each Newsletter and on our website. Schools are free to decide whether their chapter will be a regular History Club (open to all) or a History Honor Society (with specific requirements for induction). The NHC also co-sponsors multiple award programs to recognize outstanding student members, Advisors, and chapters.
- Tri-annual eNewsletter featuring lots of interesting chapter accounts.
- Monthly eBlast featuring offers from history organizations throughout the country.
- Online access to The Concord Review, the only history journal in the world for the essays of secondary students.
- "History Student of the Year" award (autographed history book given to one recipient in each chapter.) - Co-sponsored by Mount Vernon. Jim Rees' "George Washington's Leadership Lessons" was the prize for Spring 2013.
- National Advisors of the Year (five recipients) - Co-sponsored by Churchill Centre. Plaques sent to Advisors as well as a hard-cover copy of "The Last Lion".
- Outstanding History Club Award (ten recipients) - Plaques of recognition sent to clubs receiving award.
- National History Scholars Society (for students maintaining 3.5 GPA in honors history classes, 2+ years in history club, and recommendation by Advisor. All students receive honor cords free of charge to wear at graduation). NHSS Guidelines
Does your school already have a history club? Great! Membership in NHC will help your club to plan more activities and even put your club in touch with students and teachers at neighboring schools. Apply for a NHC Charter today!
How to start a chapter
It's easy to start a NHC chapter at your school! Click here to download our How to Start a History Club Chapter Guide!
Advice on how to successfully maintain a chapter from Williams Bay High School (WI), whose club has grown in 10 years from 6 students to 122 (school population is 185): How To Grow A Chapter
Thinking about starting a History Honor Society? Read Franklin High School's (TN) Constitution to see how they structured their group.
Students and/or teachers with an interest in history can apply for a charter to join NHC. Here's how:
Write a letter requesting membership in National History Club on official school stationary. The letter must include:
- Name of NHC Advisor [teacher]
- Advisor's Contact Information [school address, phone number, and e-mail address]
- Names of students planning to join the Chapter with the e-mail addresses of any officers
- $70 enrollment fee (please make check out to National History Club). Dues for subsequent years are $50.
Please send the letter to:
National History Club
P.O. Box 441812
Somerville, MA 02144
You will receive an official framed charter to recognize your membership in NHC in about one week.
Questions? Please contact Robert Nasson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.